Re: Bootstrap slapd config with back-config

Dieter Kluenter wrote:
 Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> writes:
> Read the 2.3 Admin Guide, in CVS. If you need more help after that,
> we can resume this thread.

 Please give us a hint :-) http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin23/
 doesn't say anything about cn=config, and I can't convert HEAD to
 html as sdf doesn't compile on my system.

I've made a number of updates to the slapdconf2.sdf chapter in the Guide and refreshed the copy on my web site.
http://www.highlandsun.com/hyc/ldapguide/

All of the text in chapter 5 is now up to date. (I think. Please point out any errors/ask questions/etc.)

Some points to note:
slurpd still has not been updated to recognize the new cn=config format. If you're stuck with slurpd (unable to migrate to syncrepl) then you will have to manually maintain a slapd.conf file for slurpd to read. It can of course be stripped down since slurpd just needs to see the replication-specific directives.

While slapd.conf-style include files are deprecated, we've added support for the slapd code and slap tools to process LDIF include directives. I.e., you can use
include: <URL>
to insert other LDIF-formatted data into an LDIF stream. This feature is not yet part of the LDIF RFC, but some discussion about it was on the LDAPEXT mailing list a couple months ago:
http://www.openldap.org/lists/ietf-ldapext/200504/msg00004.html
The example in the Admin Guide section 5.4 uses this feature to reference the core schema definitions.
I just checked, and I see that the ldap* tools have not been updated with this support because they don't use the same library routines that the slap* tools use to read LDIF files. (ugh.)

--
 -- Howard Chu