Re: Nested meta-backends

> OpenLDAP 2.2.26
>
> Is it possible to have nested meta-backends?  That is, I want to group
> some suffixes together as one "view", and then have that in turn part of a
> superior view without having to repeat the definitions.
>
> Something vaguely like (with a lot of stuff left out for clarity):
>
> database meta
> suffix ou=View1
> uri ldap://host1.example.com/ou=View1
> uri ldap://host2.example.com/ou=View1
>
> database meta
> suffix ou=View2
> uri ldap://host3.example.com/ou=View2
> uri ldap://host4.example.com/ou=View2
>
> database meta
> suffix ou=All
> ???  This is where I want to glue View1 and View together as "All".

The example is not really clear; however, as far as I understand, you
should be able to do that provided you can design a hierarchy of suffixes
that doesn't cause conflicts, and at the expense of multiple translations
from internal to LDAP and viceversa of all operations...  You could do
something like

database meta
suffix ou=View1
uri ldap://host1.example.com/ou=View1
uri ldap://host2.example.com/ou=View1

database meta
suffix ou=View2
uri ldap://host3.example.com/ou=View2
uri ldap://host4.example.com/ou=View2

database meta
suffix ""
uri ldap://localhost/ou=View1
uri ldap://localhost/ou=View2

should do the trick, although I wouldn't recommend it for high performances.

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati
mailto:pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it