Re: server restart - lost data?

--On Saturday, May 21, 2005 3:15 PM -0500 Jon Roberts <jon@jonanddeb.net> wrote:

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
Jon Roberts wrote:
Shashank Agrawal wrote:
my server rebooted uncleanly due to power issue and i lost most of the
data in LDAP.

You should cd to your openldap directory and run the BDB utility
db_recover before restarting slapd.

Err, that should read "your openldap data" directory. Sorry.

Several recent threads on this list recommend you add a step to run
db_recover in your slapd startup script, because crashes happen.

This only works if he's running OpenLDAP 2.1.x and later. Most all Fedora installations use 2.0.x, unfortunately.

Really? FC2 delivered with 2.1.29. I would also guess many installations build from source, as I do. That leaves a lot of stock FC1 installations by your count. Even so, since he said he in his post that he runs up2date he undoubtedly would not fall in the 2.0.x category.

Even if it is 2.1.x or
later, he could still be using the ldbm backend, which also means the
db_recover option wouldn't work.

Funny, I thought the line:

database        bdb

in the slapd.conf file he posted would indicate to the contrary.

oh, well, quite true. ;) I should of read closer... that would rule out 2.0.x too. ;)

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITSS/Shared Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html