Re: schema change procedure

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 11:18, Aaron Thoreson wrote:
> I am about to extend our production schema to add a few
> intra-organizational values.  I have 2.0.22 running ldbm backend on a
> master with two configured slurpd slaves.
>
> I believe this is the order I must take, but wanted verification,
> alternatively, a pointer to a document or FAQ.  Any help would be
> appreciated, especially if someone has or knows of a HOWTO.
>
> 1.  Stop master LDAP
> 2.  Add custom.schema
>
> 3.  Stop slave LDAP(s)
> 4.  Add custom.schema
>
> 5.  Start slave LDAP(s)
> 6.  Start master LDAP
>
> 7.  Modify master LDAP to utilize new attributes
> 8.  Watch for replication.
>
> Thanks!

Aaron,

You could proceed that way also:

1. Add custom.schema in /etc/openldap/schema on master and slave LDAPs

2. Include custom.schema file in /etc/openldap/slapd.conf on master and slave LDAPs

3. Stop and restart slapd on master and slave LDAPs (one at a time)

4. Modify master LDAP to utilize new attributes

5. Watch for replication

Of course you need to make sure that the syntax for new schema is correct in a test environment.

Hope this helps.
Sam