Searching without matching derived attributes

Hello everyone,

I have a feeling this may not actually be an error of sorts, and with
smart applications, this shouldn't even be a usability issue.
Nevertheless, I have an application (HP 9100c Digital Sender) that
searches OpenLDAP directory for a mail attribute associated with an
account.  Unfortunately, when it does its search, it gets back the mail
attribute, and the utaMailAlias attribute because utaMailAlias is
derived from mail:

# utaMailAlias -- email alias value
attributetype ( 1.3.6.1.4.1.19638.1.1.102 NAME 'utaMailAlias'
	DESC 'Email alias'
	SUP mail)

The attribute I am wanting is only mail, but OpenLDAP will return both
mail and utaMailAlias.

ldapsearch -H "ldaps://HOSTNAME" -b "cn=accounts,dc=uta,dc=edu"
"(uid=digant)" mail

# digant, accounts, uta, edu
dn: uid=digant,cn=accounts,dc=uta,dc=edu
mail: digant@exchange.uta.edu
utaMailAlias: digant@uta.edu

Is there a way to keep derived attribute types from being returned?
When this happens, the digital sender just assumes something went wrong
instead of correctly using just the mail attribute.

I am using OpenLDAP 2.2.23 on Red Hat AS 3.0.  (I should probably
upgrade to the latest OpenLDAP, huh?)

-- DK

--
Digant C Kasundra
Enterprise Operations and Systems

To request technical support, please contact our computing Help Desk at
817-272-2208, e-mail helpdesk@uta.edu or create a work order at
https://eservices.uta.edu/oitforms/workorder.html