Ldapsearch Question

I am new to ldap and am playing with the tools prior to writing some
simple applications.  Forgive me if I breach etiquette in any way or am
asking a really stupid question.

Whenever I run the following command:

ldapsearch -x -H ldap://ldap.userverx.edu -D
"cn=student,ou=school,ou=users,o=uofs" -b "ou=users,o=uofs" -W
"cn=student"

I am asked for my password and presented the appropriate results.
Attempting the same thing across a secure connection, after adding
'TLS_REQCERT never' to my /etc/openldap/ldap.conf file and changing
ldap://ldap.userverx.edu to ldaps://ldap.userverx.edu, gets me the same
results, but hangs at the end.  I am using Redhat Enterprise Linux 4
with the following packages installed: openldap-clients-2.2.13-2,
openldap-2.2.13-2, openldap-devel-2.2.13-2.

An ltrace shows it hanging indefinitely on ldap_result() between

ACL: 0#entry#cn=proxy_ldap,o=UofS#jpegPhoto

and the following (returned and completed successfully in the first
search using ldap://ldap.userverx.edu):

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 2
# numEntries: 1

Can anyone give me an idea what is going on or if I am doing something
wrong?  Thanks in advance.

Dean Halter