openldap tuning, too many open file descriptors

We had a server get goofy and flood one ldap server with a bunch of connections. In the logfile, I see a bunch of the following messages.

daemon: 1024 beyond descriptor table size 1024

After doing some googling, it looks like this a Linux OS issue. So my question is, does anyone have some good information about tuning and configuration of OpenLDAP on Linux servers? Preferably something with some information about gotchas such as this one. Thanks in advance. Server is Fedora Core 3 with OpenLDAP 2.2.13.

-- Justin Crabtree Java Programmer Ozarks Technical Community College 447-7533