Re: How to distinguish LDAP requests?

Well, when you say "standalone" daemon, does it need to be completely
custom written?  It is very possible to install OpenLDAP with back-perl
as your "standalone" daemon, which then relays connections back to your
various backends (including your primary OpenLDAP server).  slapd itself
seems to be a fairly lightweight "protocol handler".  If you wish to
write your own, independent of OpenLDAP software, you will have to
potentially re-engineer a substantial part of the protocol decoding
(ASN.1/BER/DER) that slapd already can perform for you.

-Matt

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 12:42 +0200, Mimmo Di Ianni wrote:
> That's ok, but if i want to create a my standalone daemon, between
> clients and effective slapd, listening for ldap's client
> requests(for example to make statistics)?Is there a way to distinguish
> what kind of operation my daemon
> intercepts through socket connection in the daemon itself and without
> interact with the LDAP server? Where can i find documentation about
> that?
> Excuse me for my terrible english. Every answer will be a lot appreciate!
> Bye, mimmo
>
> On 4/13/05, Matthew J. Smith <matt.smith@uconn.edu> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 00:57 +0200, Mimmo Di Ianni wrote:
> > > I must implement a daemon which intercepts ldap requests and forwards
> > > them to an effective LDAP Server (in the case of a read operation) or to
> > > other backend (in the case of a write operation). Once the daemon
> > > accepts a socket connection how can I distinguish what type of operation
> > > my client requests? Is it possible without interact with server LDAP?
> > > Every answer will be a lot appreciate!
> > >
> > > THANKS
> > > Mimmo
> >
> > I have been playing with back-perl lately, with success.  I would
> > suggest at least prototyping with this, and maybe look to an overlay or
> > custom backend if back-perl doesn't perform well enough for you.
> >
> > -Matt
> > Matthew J. Smith
> > University of Connecticut ITS
> > This message sent at Wed Apr 13 06:30:34 2005
> > PGP Key: http://web.uconn.edu/dotmatt/matt.asc

Matthew J. Smith
University of Connecticut ITS
This message sent at Wed Apr 13 07:15:44 2005
PGP Key: http://web.uconn.edu/dotmatt/matt.asc