openldap 2.1.30 does not fork childs on slave

hi all,

i'm running a productive 2.1.30 server with berkeley db 4.1.25 (ldbm) on
redhat 9 (2.1.30-31.9smp) which is working quite well so far, but lately
i noticed the server is working with a thread of one pid only...

this looked strange for me because on other servers i'm also running
with the same config (same version of server, berkeley db and kernel) i
have seen several pid's even when the server is idle.

when i configured the server i used the default thread option which
should allow up to 32 simultaneous threads.

the initscript /etc/init.d/ldap reports all the time only one thread
with one pid, even when i put some heavy load on the server.

here:
# /etc/init.d/ldap status
slapd (pid 27592) is running...

this looks like it is supposed to be, i would say:
# /etc/init.d/ldap status
slapd (pid 3665 24686 18024 1180 1105 1104 1099) is running...
slurpd (pid 1111 1108 1107 1106) is running...

and especially the first quote is the one of my frontend server which
handles all requests, the second one is just the master fetching updates
and distributing them to the slaves.

i noticed this just because our monitoring system generates alarms
because the response of the server exceeds an expected timeframe for a
defined operation and i assumed this problem is maybe related to the
performance issue...

someone of you maybe know why the server does not fork childs or
experienced the same behavior?

thanx a lot,
carsten