Re: Casual benchmarking OS performace with OpenLDAP

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 17:33:55 -0800
Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:

> In general, you can't construct a test like this unless you know you're
> doing apples-to-apples comparisons. If you built your own BDB library on
> Solaris x86 but used the distro's stock BDB install on Linux, you really
> have no idea if the two builds are comparable.

Ok, I built the DB library on linux basically the same way I did on Solaris,
(albeit with a different compiler) and got these results:

Threads		Shortest	Longest		Average
4		1:05		3:46		2:27
2		0:39		3:14		1:56

This time having 2 threads seemed to help. Still not even close to Solx86
though.

> There are a lot of global directives interspersed with database-only
> directives here. Generally we discourage this because it leads to false
> assumptions about how things work. The slapd.conf(5) manpage (and
> associated config manpages) are pretty explicit about what directives
> are global vs not. In 2.3 with the LDIF configuration it will be firmly
> delineated, since directives will only be valid in specific config entries.

Interestingly enough, I was having problems with slapd hanging indefinitely.
I rearranged my slapd.conf to keep the sections separate and the problem
seems to have gone away -- thanks for the tip.

Also, it turns out that my entire LDIF is about 10M, so openldap on
solx86 is pushing out about 20MB/s, which seems pretty good to me.

| Jim Hranicky, Senior SysAdmin                   UF/CISE Department |
| E314D CSE Building                            Phone (352) 392-1499 |
| jfh@cise.ufl.edu                      http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~jfh |