Re: Compiling OpenLDAP on Mac OS X v10.3 Panther

--On Sunday, March 27, 2005 8:58 PM +0100 Finlay Dobbie <finlay.dobbie@gmail.com> wrote:

Attempting to compile OpenLDAP (2.3.2beta or 2.2.24) results in the
following message:

cc -g -O2 -o dntest dntest.o  ./.libs/libldap.a
../../libraries/liblutil/liblutil.a -lssl -lcrypto
ld: Undefined symbols:
make[2]: *** [dntest] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-common] Error 1
make: *** [all-common] Error 1

These symbols are in libresolv. There are two solutions: either use
the BIND 8 resolver API or add -lresolve to the LDFLAGS. However, this
should be detected by the build system so it compiles out of the box.

Jason Townsend provided a patch, but it was rejected unequivocally

Actually, the ITS says it was applied to HEAD and RE22. I'm not sure why you think it was rejected.

Is building out of the box not a goal?

It builds out of the box for me just fine, as long as I follow the INSTALL documentation and set my build environment variables appropriately.

Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer
ITSS/Shared Services
Stanford University