SASL [conn=97] Failure: unable canonify user and get auxprops

I'm running OpenLDAP 2.2.17 on Linux. I'm trying to authenticate with
JNDI using DIGEST-MD5.

I receive the error "unable canonify user and get auxprops". Here is the
debug log output from the slapd instance:

do_sasl_bind: dn () mech DIGEST-MD5
SASL [conn=97] Debug: DIGEST-MD5 server step 2
slap_sasl_getdn: u:id converted to uid=dn:
uid=DMC1,ou=People,dc=my,dc=com,cn
=DIGEST-MD5,cn=auth
>>> dnNormalize: <uid=dn:
uid=DMC1,ou=People,dc=my,dc=com,cn=DIGEST-MD5,cn=au
th>
=> ldap_bv2dn(uid=dn:
uid=DMC1,ou=People,dc=my,dc=com,cn=DIGEST-MD5,cn=auth,0
)
ldap_err2string
<= ldap_bv2dn(uid=dn:
uid=DMC1,ou=People,dc=my,dc=com,cn=DIGEST-MD5,cn=auth)=
-4 Decoding error
ldap_err2string
SASL [conn=97] Failure: Invalid syntax
SASL [conn=97] Failure: unable canonify user and get auxprops
send_ldap_result: conn=97 op=1 p=3
send_ldap_response: msgid=2 tag=97 err=50

Based on some other posts, I've also tried running the following commands:

[root etc]# sasldblistusers2
can't getkeyhandle
listusers failed

I do not have a sasldb or sasldb2 file under /etc.

I have about 100 users in my LDAP directory, and I can authenticate fine
with simple authentication.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!