Re: 2.2.23 vs 2.3.1alpha speed compairisons

--On Monday, February 21, 2005 11:31 AM +0200 Buchan Milne <bgmilne@obsidian.co.za> wrote:

I don't think your statement is correct ... you can improve performance by tuning the logging subsystem:

http://www.sleepycat.com/docs/api_c/log_list.html

Since you don't include any set_lg_* entries, I assume you don't have
any in your DB_CONFIG file, in which case performance (especially for
writes) will be dismal with logging enabled.

None of this, however, addresses the basic problems of Berkeley DB 4.3:

1) There is no way to disable logs.
2) The sleepycat alternative (in-memory logs) is poorly implemented, and it is fairly trivial to make it take out a slapadd or running slapd process.
3) Even using disk-based logs, BDB 4.3 will still run out of resources for its transaction system fairly quickly.

I'm able to trigger (2) & (3) easily, even with a properly tuned DB_CONFIG file using the set_lg_* parameters.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Product Engineer