Re: Open LDAP library for WIN Client

At 01:56 AM 2/2/2005, Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
    > I am a newbie and need only the Open LDAP client library for
    > Windows. I seem to only find documents on how to install & run the
    > LDAP server on WIN. Any help regarding where to download the client
    > library would be appreciated.

You can download them via setup.exe from the cygwin site.

http://cygwin.com/setup.exe

There are 3 packages (the servers are in openldap)

libopenldap2_2_7        2.2.17-2
openldap                2.2.17-2
openldap-devel          2.2.17-2

Sorry, I am not exactly familiar with Cygwin or even LDAP for that matter. Please excuse me if I have too many questions. I tried the following and am basically stuck.

I tried getting OpenLDAP via Cygwin as you suggested and landed up a lib directory that has
libladp.dll.a
liblday_r.dll.a and so on.

There were no .dll files, instead I got a bunch of .dll.a and .a files. I haven't encountered any WIN library files with a .dll.a extension and they do not open up using Visual Studio either. Is there something I am missing out here. Should I simply use the \lib and the \usr\include directories as my client library?

The other option I tried is downloading a tar file of 2.1.25 version (which supports Windows) from the archives. It had the Windows workspace files in the build directory. I opened up the main.dsw file and tried to do a build. It said that the SASL header was missing. I tried installing Cyrus SASL to continue. I see that I need to install Sleepycat software to make Cyrus SASL. I am sort of confused here. I need only the client library for Windows. Why would I need to have Sleepycat installed and is there a way to make SASL without Sleepycat?

Anyway I went on to make SASL without installing Sleepycat and landed up with the following error:
> NMake -f NTMakefile (I get the following error)
NTMakefile(221) : fatal error U1088: invalid separator '::' on inference rule.

Can someone please give me some more details on how to get only the OpenLDAP client library for Windows. I need to do LDAP authentication in my client either over SSL or using Kerebros, whichever is easier.

Any help is appreciated.

TIA