slurpd ERROR: Insufficient access

i'm getting the following slurpd error after making modifications to the directory on the master server:

ERROR: Insufficient access

i imported the following LDIF into my LDAP:

dn: cn=replicator,dc=foo,dc=com
objectClass: top
objectClass: person
sn: replicator
cn: replicator
userPassword: foo

i have the following in my master slapd.conf:

replogfile    /var/lib/ldap/openldap-slurp/master-slapd.replog

replica host=ldaptest2.foo.com:389
    binddn="cn=replicator,dc=foo,dc=com"
    bindmethod=simple credentials=foo

i have the following in my replica slapd.conf:

access to *
    by dn="cn=replicator,dc=foo,dc=com" write

updatedn "cn=replicator,dc=foo,dc=com"

i copied every *.bdb file from the master to the replica server, started both of the servers with no problems, lookups work fine on both servers, start slurpd, and replication does not work.

i tried putting the encrypted {crypt} form of the password into the replicator LDIF and changing the credentials= line in the master slapd.conf to {crypt}foo, i've tried putting both of the passwords in plain text (recopying the *.bdb files over after every change), but still no luck.

it seems like the problem is the authentication for the dn cn=replicator,dc=foo,dc=com

is the password in the directory supposed to be encrypted? should i just set up the rootdn on the replica server as dn "cn=replicator,dc=foo,dc=com"?