Problem with CN containg multiple spaces

Hi!

I have a situation where I need data from an "Active Directory" mangled
 and then stored in a local slapd instance.

The problem is that there are a couple DNs which only differ in the
 amount of spaces in the CN, eg
    CN=Doe\, John,OU=Users,DC=local
    CN=Doe\,  John,OU=Users,DC=local
             ^
When I try to add a group with both of those as members, all I get is
 "value #n provided more than once". It also fails when I try to add the
 second one as an organizationalPerson.

AFAIU the RFCs, every field value is basically a string, with a couple
 special characters escaped. A blank not at start or end of the string is
 not one those characters.

Any hints on how I could get this working?

(slapd from OpenLDAP 2.1.30, Debian -3, on a Debian Sarge system)

cheers+TIA,
&rw
--
/ Ing. Robert Waldner | Security Engineer |  CoreTec IT-Security  \
\   <rw@coretec.at>   | T +43 1 503 72 73 | F +43 1 503 72 73 x99 /