err=32 No Such Object

Feeling full of myself, I decided to implement at home on whitebox
server.

Got it all up and running - just like the other system except I am
unable to execute rootdn search...

# ldapsearch -x -h localhost -D 'cn=root,dc=azapple,dc=com' -W
'(objectclass=*)'
Enter LDAP Password:
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <> with scope sub
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# search result
search: 2
result: 32 No such object

# numResponses: 1

whereas
#ldapsearch -x -h localhost -b 'dc=azapple,dc=com' '(objectclass=*)'
works just fine

pertinent section of slapd.conf
database        bdb
suffix          "dc=azapple,dc=com"
rootdn          "cn=root,dc=azapple,dc=com"
rootpw          {SSHA}XXXXXXXXX

directory       /usr/local/var/openldap-data
password-hash   {crypt}
password-crypt-salt-format      "$1$%.8s"

why would it work with anonymous bind but not with rootbinddn?

Craig