Supporting apps that work wtih AD and memberOf

I am using OpenLDAP 2.2.

A few applications that we have been working with seem to look at group membership not based on a member or uniqueMember attribute in the group itself, but instead uses a memberOf attribute in the account entry. Is this common? If so we can create that attribute in our local schema definition (probably as localMemberOf with an alias of memberOf).

I'm curious if anyone has seen this issue, and if so what you have done about it.