OpenLDAP in large environment

We have an OpenLDAP database that consists of approx 35,000 CNs (users,
posixGroups, groupOfNames) and we anticipate that when fully populated the
database will have about 200,000 CNs.

It is running on OpenLDAP 2.2.13 (with back-bdb) and Fedora Core 3 (after
having corruption problems with OpenLDAP 2.0 back-ldbm on RedHat Enterprise
3). The servers it is running on are Dual P4 Xeon 3.06Ghz with 1Gig RAM and
2x36Gb HDD RAID1, although the SCSI RAID controller performance is known to
be ordinary.

Just wondering if anyone out there has any tips on how to get a database of
this size performing reliably and quickly. (ie slapd.conf options,
DB_CONFIG settings, ext2 mount options etc). I have searched around on
google, the berkeley db site, the OpenLDAP archives and website and found
some information but i'm interested in other users opinions and
experiences.

There are some performance and stability issues at the moment but i'm
hopeful they are related to not having the various components tuned to work
with a database of this size.

Any help or info muchly appreciated.

Cheers
David Brown