openldap tls/ssl and windows SDK

Hi list,

I'm wondering if there's any advantage of using openldap over TLS instead of openldap over SSL ... ? I only know that using startTLS is compliance with LDAPv3 while SSL is compliance with LDAPv2 only. ldap over TLS uses port 389, while ldap over SSL uses port 636.

For a windows client connecting to an openldap server in linux/solaris, is it better to use TLS or SSL ?

The reason is that I'm using netscape SDK to build my ldap client, but apparently it only supports SSL and not TLS...
To get an SDK which supports TLS, I will need to build openldap SDK on windows, which seems a bit tedious to me.

Any hints on how to compile openldap client libraries on VC++ ? The openldap FAQ doesn't say much about this. I only need to use simple bind, so I think I can forget about SASL....I'm not sure which libraries that I have to compile....My guess is libldap and liblber...Currently I'm stuck with unresolved symbols which I think related to winsock .... Anybody can help me ? Not much experience in compiling on windows...

Compiling...

sockbuf.c

options.c

nt_err.c

memory.c

io.c

io.c(585) : warning C4018: '<' : signed/unsigned mismatch

encode.c

decode.c

debug.c

bprint.c

Linking...

sockbuf.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__ioctlsocket@12 referenced in function _ber_pvt_socket_set_nonblock

sockbuf.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__WSAGetLastError@0 referenced in function _sb_stream_read

sockbuf.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__recv@16 referenced in function _sb_stream_read

sockbuf.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__send@16 referenced in function _sb_stream_write

sockbuf.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__closesocket@4 referenced in function _sb_stream_close

sockbuf.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__shutdown@8 referenced in function _sb_stream_close

.\..\..\Debug/liblber.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 6 unresolved externals

thanks,
lara