Re: slapd: warning: cannot open /etc/hosts.allow: Too many open files

It looks like you have 1024, but you'd be better off asking your operating
system vendor than me.

It's a bit of a brute force method, but you can always run lsof, pfiles,
ls /proc/(pid)/fd, or whatever may be appropriate for your operating
system (again, ask your vendor) when slapd is complaining "too many files"
to find out what slapd is actually hitting as a limit.

I'm not clear on the "one process" question -- perhaps it would be helpful
to keep in mind that slapd is typically compiled multithreaded, so many
requests can be sharing one pid (and hence fdset.)