[newbie question] - avoiding db corruption

I run openldap-2.1.30 and bdb-4.1.25 on two gentoo-linux boxes with bdb
backend, that i read from this ml is cause of db corruption.
I was wondering about what is the best setup for avoiding db corruption.
Initially i run bdb backend, but after reading faqs (and after a problem with
my db) i switched to ldbm, that i have understood is slower but safer. But
from faq i see that ldbm uses the same bdb api: the danger of corruption
is the same as running bdb? What is the best solution with openldap 2.1.30?
Updating to db-4.2.52_p2, recompiling openldap and using bdb backend?
Unpdating to db-4.2.52_p2 and using ldbm backend? Turning off bdb
support at compiling time and using gdbm instead and ldbm backend?
I see from previous posts that the best is openldap 2.2.18 and db-4.2.52 with
patches, but my distro has only openldap-2.1.30 as latest stable package.
Thanks to everyone.

Regards,
Samuele