RE: FW: OpenLDAP as an enterprise level LDAP provider (try II)

--On Wednesday, November 24, 2004 3:11 PM -0600 "Fortin, John {PBG}" <John.Fortin@pepsi.com> wrote:

Quanah, here you go, in order:

	1) Doing the initial slapdd with indexing on never completed  We
ended up turning off indexing just to load the initial ldif file.  We then
ran slapindex after enabling the indexes.

This indicates that you have not configured a large enough BDB DB cache size for your database.

	2) Dell 2650, dual 2.1 GHz Intel Zeon processors with Hyperthreading
support, 2 Gig Ram, 76 Gig HD with Raid 5.

You likely need more RAM.

	3) As I indicated, hot backups are not possible due to the
slapadd/slapindex issues.  If I can make this perform better then I can do
it.
      4)DB_CONFIG during load:
		set_cachesize   0      52428800        0
		set_lg_regionmax        1048576
		set_lg_max              10485760
		set_lg_bsize            1097152
		set_lg_dir              /var/ldapdb/slave2/logs
		set_tmp_dir             /tmp
		set_flags DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE

Your DB Cache Size (500MB) is probably too small.

I'm tryin to make this work. I'm surprised at the results too. If I'm not tuning this properly, I can adjust. These were values suggested in one of the links in the FAQ, though I did increase set_cachesize.

I do vaguely remember someone complaining about performance on RedHat,
but I cannot find the reference in the archives.

Here is what I do to tune the DB size when adding a large DB:

1) Set it to something rather large (like 1.5 GB), and perform a slapadd with indexing, and see how long that takes. If it takes a very very long time, it is still going to need more space. Note that the more indices you have, the larger the cachesize you will need.

2) You don't seem to have the BDB flags used for doing a fast slapadd in your DB_CONFIG file. You should add:

# Just use these settings when doing slapadd...
#set_flags DB_TXN_NOSYNC
#set_flags DB_TXN_NOT_DURABLE

to your DB_CONFIG, and unset the last two when doing a slapadd. That will speed up slapadd's enormously, while still performing indexing. Once the slapadd is completed, simply comment them out again.

3) Once you know how long it takes with a large DB Cache, drop some off of it, and slapadd again. I would guestimate that if it takes more than 30 minutes with the above settings & a large cache size on your box, you likely need more DB cachesize.

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITSS/Shared Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html