Re: OpenLDAP 2.2 and BDB not listening...

James Wilson wrote:
| On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:14:43 -0800, Quanah Gibson-Mount
| <quanah@stanford.edu> wrote:
|>--On Tuesday, November 23, 2004 1:09 PM +1030 James Wilson
|><james.wilson77@gmail.com> wrote:
|>>Hi All,
|>>We have a production LDAP server running the following:
|>>Everything was working fine with a BDB backend.  Now all of a sudden,
|>>the slapd service starts, but the deamon is not listening on port 389
|>>We are exhibiting the same problem as thos following poster:
|>>Can anyone shed some light?
|>>It basically stalls here:
|>>slapcat startup: initiated.
|>>backend_startup: starting "dc=sa,dc=edu,dc=au"
|>>bdb_db_open: dc=sa,dc=edu,dc=au
|>>bdb_db_open: dbenv_open(/var/lib/ldap)
|>Have you run db_recover when slapd isn't running?
|>I assume that version of BDB 4.2 has the Sleepycat patches applied.
|>Note that 2.2.13 is rather old.
| Thanks for the replay.  We are running Fedora Core 3, with its base
| RPMS.  We have applied no patches on top of that.

You haven't answered the first question.

Also, AFAIK, Fedora still doesn't run db_recover in LDAP startup, and it
kills slapd too early on '/etc/rc.d/init.d/ldap stop', so you are
basically guaranteed to have problems with database corruption. Stopping
the LDAP service, running 'db_recover -h <path to database>' for each
database (and also ensuring the database files are owned by the user
OpenLDAP runs as afterwards) should fix you up until the next time you
stop OpenLDAP.

- --
Buchan Milne                      Senior Support Technician
Obsidian Systems                  http://www.obsidian.co.za
B.Eng                                RHCE (803004789010797)
Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)