Re: OpenLDAP 2.2 and BDB not listening...

James Wilson wrote:
| On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:14:43 -0800, Quanah Gibson-Mount
| <quanah@stanford.edu> wrote:
|

|>--On Tuesday, November 23, 2004 1:09 PM +1030 James Wilson
|>

|><james.wilson77@gmail.com> wrote:
|>

|>>Hi All,
|>>
|>>We have a production LDAP server running the following:
|>>
|>>db4-4.2.52-6
|>>openldap-servers-2.2.13-2
|>>
|>>Everything was working fine with a BDB backend.  Now all of a sudden,
|>>the slapd service starts, but the deamon is not listening on port 389
|>>
|>>We are exhibiting the same problem as thos following poster:
|>>
|>>http://lists.slug.org.au/archives/slug/2003/07/msg00274.html
|>>
|>>Can anyone shed some light?
|>>
|>>It basically stalls here:
|>>
|>>slapcat startup: initiated.
|>>backend_startup: starting "dc=sa,dc=edu,dc=au"
|>>bdb_db_open: dc=sa,dc=edu,dc=au
|>>bdb_db_open: dbenv_open(/var/lib/ldap)
|>
|>Have you run db_recover when slapd isn't running?
|>
|>I assume that version of BDB 4.2 has the Sleepycat patches applied.
|>
|>Note that 2.2.13 is rather old.
|>

| Thanks for the replay.  We are running Fedora Core 3, with its base
| RPMS.  We have applied no patches on top of that.

You haven't answered the first question.

Also, AFAIK, Fedora still doesn't run db_recover in LDAP startup, and it
kills slapd too early on '/etc/rc.d/init.d/ldap stop', so you are
basically guaranteed to have problems with database corruption. Stopping
the LDAP service, running 'db_recover -h <path to database>' for each
database (and also ensuring the database files are owned by the user
OpenLDAP runs as afterwards) should fix you up until the next time you
stop OpenLDAP.

Regards,
Buchan

- --
Buchan Milne                      Senior Support Technician
Obsidian Systems                  http://www.obsidian.co.za
B.Eng                                RHCE (803004789010797)