Re: Question about syntax check and back-sql

> Hello,
>
> Would you please give me suggestion about two questions below?
>
> Question 1:
> Openldap front-end may does all syntax check on addition and modification
> operatings. I want to confirm is there exception that needs to check
> syntax
> by backend (like back-sql or etc.) itself on these two operatings.

Frontend does all sanity checks on values in "add" and "modify" operations
(in all operations); there is little (if any) backends can do to avoid it.
 By sanity I mean existence of the AttributeDescriptions in the DSA's
schema, and conformance of the attribute values to the syntax defined for
their AttributeDescription.

The backend needs to do additional checks (e.g. a changetype of "add" to
an attributeType that already contains values needs an EQUALITY rule, and
so on).  Note that back-sql, by design, silently ignores writes (i.e.
changetypes of add/replace/delete) on attributeTypes that are not mapped
to the RDBMS unless instructed to reject them (see slapd-sql(5):
"fail_if_no_mapping" for details).

> Question 2:
> It seemed like the current back-sql

what's current?  what number?

> cannot support full functions which
> back-bdb has.

what functions?  "Current" (i.e. 2.2.18) back-sql supports all the LDAP
operations, AFAIR.

> But is there a detailed list for explaining the functions
> what are back-sql supported and what are not.
> Has somebody loaded all schemata into pgsql database successfully?

What do you mean by "all"?  All objectClasses and attributeTypes typically
loaded into "cn=subschema"?  No, and I don't think it is even reasonable,
given the logic that is behind back-sql implementation.  If you mean a
somewhat realistic example, the answer is: Yes (see below).

> If you have, do you mind show me your meta.sql as example?

The files are in servers/slapd/back-sql/rdbms_depend/pgsql/ of a recent
(and decent) version of back-sql, e.g. 2.2.18.

p.

--
Pierangelo Masarati
mailto:pierangelo.masarati@sys-net.it