Building openldap with overlays

I've spent the last two days trying to get the ppolicy overlay to work
and so far have had no luck at all.  Howard's post yesterday indicated
that people are using it in production, so I'm hoping that somebody
knows how to do this.  I've searched the list archives and Googled
extensively, but I still don't have the answer.

Here's what I've tried,

building CVS HEAD - Eventually got it built following problems related
to my platform (solaris) but can't get it to run acceptably (it chokes
on the TLS options and defaultsearchbase in slapd.conf, and even taking
those out I still couldn't get it to work)

downloading OPENLDAP_REL_ENG_2_2_MP from CVS (its the only tag applied
to ppolicy.c, so worth a shot I thought).  This version segfaulted on
startup.

building ppolicy in CVS HEAD as a module then attempting to use the
module with 2.2.18.  Just said it couldn't find the overlay.  (I wasn't
really expecting it to work, but was getting desperate)

I've also tried merging the ppolicy code into 2.2.18, but without
success (due mainly to lack of ability on my part)

I guess that those who have it working grabbed CVS HEAD and were lucky
that everything else was working in HEAD at that time?  Can anyone
suggest how I could progress from here.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin