Re: SQL Backend Question

Christopher Hicks wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Nov 2004, Pierangelo Masarati wrote:
>
>> This could make sense; but as of today I haven't been able to write
>> to MySQL by way of back-sql because MySQL lacks stored procedures.
>

> Luckily you're wrong about MySQL:
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Stored_Procedures.html

>> Stored procedures and functions are a new feature in MySQL version 5.0.
>> MySQL follows the SQL:2003 syntax for stored procedures, which is
>> also used by IBM's DB2.  The MySQL implementation of stored
>> procedures is still in progress. All syntax described in this chapter
>> is supported and any limitations and extensions are documented where
>> appropriate.
>

> So, has anyone tried this with MySQL 5.0?

The latest I tried was 3.23.58 (default on RHEL3.0) and 4.0 for playing,
never used it in a real-life environment; I know stored procedures are
to be incorporated into MySQL, but I'm not going to spend too much time
on that since for strategic reasons we're fine with IBM db2 and
PostgreSQL (might need to work a bit on Oracle at some point, though).
 Support, in form of HOWTO and example data consistent with those
already available for the previously mentioned RDBMSes is always
welcome.  Note (slightly off-topic), however, that while I often get
requests for help on doing things with back-sql (either on the list or
privately, the latter usually rejected), I seldom (if ever) receive any
type of useful feedback about the use of back-sql in ways that were not
already described in the docs or on the FAQ.  The announcement of stored
procedures availability for MySQL 5.0 by no means implies a commitment
of myself or, I guess, any other developer, in updating the examples to
enable writing for MySQL as well.  Finally, note that the lack of stored
procedures does not totally inhibit writes; typically it does not allow
to perform operations like adding or deleting an entry.  Things like
attribute add/modify/delete are possible provided they do not require
multiple operations.

p.