Re: SQL Backend Question

Michael Nguyen wrote:

First, is there a How-To or FAQ for implementing a SQL backend to OpenLDAP?
I've been looking through the archives and it seems to be a common topic.
Anyway, the real question...

We have OpenLDAP running in our production environment but we're looking to
implement a SQL backend to OpenLDAP using MySQL.  We've installed MyODBC and
IODBC and have re-compiled a brand new OpenLDAP for this, but we get the
following error when we try to start up slapd:

==>backsql_open_db_conn()
backsql_open_db_conn(): connected, adding to tree
<==backsql_open_db_conn()
backsql_get_db_conn(): first call -- reading schema map
==>backsql_load_schema_map()
Segmentation fault

It looks like we're connecting to the database successfully, but I'm not
sure what's happening at this point. Could someone point me int he right
direction?

0) did you read http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/378.html ? are sure you need back-sql and you accept to live with its intrinsic limitations in terms of usability and performances?
1) what version of slapd are you using? OpenLDAP 2.2.18 doesn't SIGSEGV if the database is not properly populated.
2) did you read http://www.openldap.org/faq/data/cache/978.html ? did you check the FAQ and the mailing lists? Another (not officially released yet) source of information is http://www.openldap.org/devel/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/servers/slapd/back-sql/rdbms_depend/README?rev=1.3&hideattic=1&sortbydate=0
3) if you want to play with CVS HEAD code (not that different from 2.2.18 wrt/ back-sql) it contains a (very limited) test suite, which currently works for PostgreSQL (read/write), IBM db2 (read/partially write) and MySQL (read-only); from subdirectory test/ do "./run sql-test000" __AFTER__ populating and starting the database with data provided in servers/slapd/back-sql/rdbms_depend/*/ (RDBMS dependend in nature, cannot provide more specific instructions).