OpenLDAP libraries err

Hello list,
I have a doubt regarding OpenLDAp libraries-libldap,libdap_r,liblber.
I am working with OpenLDAp on my HP-UX&it works fine.I have some issue regarding these libraries making a mess with other libraries related to libpam.
Now my doubt is where actually these libraries are used?
I mean the three-libldap,libldap_r,liblber.Where are these libraries used ? Is it with ldap/other products.Plz do make it clear.I am a newbie to Ldap.

Thanks
Opensrc_eng