Re: Possible issue with Openldap and bdb with bdb transaction log s

Unfortunately the DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE flag also will not work here. If you cannot change your bulk load approach you are either going to need to hack your BDB 4.2 source or import the OpenLDAP patches to support BDB 4.3 and use that instead.

There is a long conversation around here http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-devel/200407/msg00051.html detailing why this change was made to back-bdb and the workaround for BDB 4.2.52. No patches relevant to this issue are required if you use BDB 4.3, but there are a couple API changes that must be patched for to allow building with 4.3.

Fortin, John {PBG} wrote:

John,

If you read the FAQ, you will note that the preferred way to bulk-load OpenLDAP is to use the "slapadd" tool while the server is down. Not only is it faster, but you can turn off the generation of the transaction logs.

Also, are you running BDB 4.2.52 or BDB 4.2.52 plus patches?

Have you properly configured DB_CONFIG for BDB in your database directory?

Have you looked at using the DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE flag in DB_CONFIG?

--Quanah

Quanah, Thanks for the response. That was my first option, but unfortunately we cannot bulk load with slapadd because of business requirements and data validation; instead, he entries are being created programatically. Also this fails by filling up the log directory after adding 'only' about 5000 entries, which I would hope slapd can handle. These entries ate up about 3.4 Gig of logs. I have additional space available for logfiles, but that doesn't seem like a great solution.

 We are using bdb 4.2.52 with the 2 (at build time) available patches.
DB_CONFIG is used to setup the logging directories and the cache size for
the database.  I hadn't heard of DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE.  I will look into it.

These are the current entries in out DB_CONFIG:

set_cachesize   		0      52428800        0
set_lg_regionmax        1048576
set_lg_max              10485760
set_lg_bsize            1097152
set_lg_dir              /var/ldapdb/slave2/logs
set_tmp_dir             /tmp

--John

John Fortin
PBG Middleware and Web Services