Possible issue with Openldap and bdb with bdb transaction logs

We seem to have an issue with OpenLDAP not releasing transactions to the
backend bdb database we are using.  I've searched as best I can for a
solution to no avail.

Currently we are trying to bulk load 600,000 users to OpenLDAP, 50,000 at a
time.  While the load process is running, we are generating a large number
of tranaction logs in bdb.  We are trying to run 'db_checkpoint -1' and
'db_archive -d' in order to trim the transaction logs to a manageable size
as the load runs.  However, these do not seem to work while slapd is
running.  When we stop slapd, both programs run as expected and the logs are
deleted.

We have tried adding the checkpoint parameter to the slapd.conf, but this
does not seem to work.  The docs and entrie in the FAQ-o-matic seem to
indicate that this may not even be supported anymore.  There were a couple
of hits on using txn_checkpoint in DB_CONFIG, but this parameter does not
seem to valid.

Is there an issue with checkpointing the backend bdb while slapd is running?
If not, is there a general procedure for forcing checkpoint without taking
slapd down.

We are using OpenLDAP version 2.2.15 on RH ES 30 and bdb 4.2.52.

TIA for any assistance!!

--John

John Fortin
PBG Middleware and Web Services