Re: Migrating from Netscape Ldap to Openldap

Thanks for the ideas Adam.

To answer your questions:

> > How many attributes/objectclasses are we talking about?  If it is only a
> > few you may be able to reverse engineer it;  or enquire of the Netscape
> > DSA what the schema for these attributes are in cn=subchema, then just
> > recreate them in an OpenLDAP compliant style.

There's more than 300 entries which have to be migrated over. While I've been able to get some information from the Netscape DSA,the overwhelming consensus is that the field mappings are the same.

> > The password attribute could be an
> > interesting one however,  is it encoded in a {crypt-type}crypt format?

Yes, the password is encoded. I'm still investigating that piece and will be able to provide the type of encoding or any work-arounds that I've done for that shortly.

You mentioned using a back-ldap/proxy earlier. Can you elaborate on that? I'd be curious to see if that might bridge the two environments into talking nicely to each other. Outside of that, I'll be contacting Nortel
(the VPN manufacturer) tomorrow. I look forward to hearing their response to the questions. I've emailed them 5 times and have not received a response. Will let you know what comes of it and will post
whatever they provide in case anyone wants/needs a copy.

Thanks again,
Preston