replication problem

I have replication setup with one master and two slaves. When I make a manual change to the master, it replicates to the slaves with no problem. I have used both phpldapadmin and ldapmodify to make changes. They both work. My problem is with a perl script that runs at night to check our central database for changes and update the LDAP server. None of the changes made by this script get replicated. When I search the replica log, there are no entries for the changes I know my script has made. The log file is full of entries for changes to timestamps and creators name, but not the changes to non-system attributes. Has anyone else run across this problem? I have been told that large updates should be done by copying the database and not rely on replication. I would like, however, to let me script run every night and have replication handle the changes on the slaves. Any ideas?

Thanks.

--
Justin Crabtree
Java Programmer