Re: TLS error: fatal: protocol version

Greg Matthews wrote:

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 18:35, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

Okay, well, you might want to upgrade off of 0.9.7c since it has security issues. What is the ldapsearch command you are running when you get this error? I read through your original post, and I don't see that bit of information included...

guess my mail wasnt clear enough. This error occurs when using
tls_checkpeer in the libnss-ldap config file (this would be
/etc/ldap.conf on a redhat box but this is debian). ie when validating
the server certificate against the CA cert when doing nss lookups. When
using -ZZ in an ldapsearch, no such error occurs even with the exact
same config in my .ldaprc file pointing at the exact same cert. This
suggests to me that my certs are ok (they've worked for a year or more
in production!). However, as the logs are from the openldap server, this
an openldap error message and I was hoping someone would know what it
meant.

If you intend for a particular CA cert to be used systemwide then it should be configured in OpenLDAP's ldap.conf file, not in your personal .ldaprc. If the CA cert has not been made available to your nssldap library then that could be part of the problem.

btw, I'm aware of the security risk with openssl 0.9.7c but I am not
immediately concerned. But perhaps the error is due to different
versions of a negotiated protocol?

That's also possible. Since you say that ldapsearch works, what is the likelihood that your nssldap module is actually linked against a different set of libraries from your OpenLDAP commandline tools?

my workaround to the above problem is to turn of tls_checkpeer which is
default behaviour in many distros anyway. Am thinking not many are using
this option and perhaps it is broken.

No, it works fine in the Symas builds at least. Further discussion of nss/pam_ldap config keywords probably belongs elsewhere, but I'll note that in the Symas builds we discourage all use of the SSL/TLS options in the nss/pam config file. Instead we set those options systemwide in the ldap.conf. Anyone running with tls_checkpeer disabled for such a sensitive security service may as well just turn TLS off and ask to be hacked.

--
 -- Howard Chu