RES: Newbie question on client Auth and SSL

Quanah,

Maybe I expressed myself in a wrong way. With "binding" I mean "user".
So, what I'm trying is to ldapsearch from a remote host (i.e. client) and to
authenticate squid (using pam_auth). The commands on the remote host were:

# pam_auth -n squid_ldap   ----- In this case, the user were "Anonymous" (as
far as I can tell)

# ldapsearch -Uadriela -b "dc=calu,dc=com,dc=br" "(uid=adriela)"
               ^^^^^^^
--- Now,       this      (adriela) is the user. I'm trying to search it own
entry

That's what I meant with "binding". Since I'm a real newbie, correct me if
my binding concept is wrong, please.

Anyway, both give error, when I expected than to be ok.

By ACL I assume that you're talking about "Access Control Policy" section
from /usr/local/etc/openldap/slapd.conf . Am I right? If so, my ACL is:

 access to dn.base="" by * read
 access to dn.base="cn=Subschema" by * read
 access to *
        by self write
        by users read
        by anonymous auth

Just as the "example" in that file. Even though, I got the same results as
without it.

[root@andromeda root]# ldapsearch -Uadriela -b "dc=calu,dc=com,dc=br"
"(uid=adriela)"
SASL/DIGEST-MD5 authentication started
Please enter your password:
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Can't contact LDAP server
[root@andromeda root]#
[root@andromeda root]# pam_auth -n squid_ldap
adriela 123456
ERR

[root@andromeda root]#

SASL is always used when compiled with, or it may be switched on/off? I
mean, if SASL is the problem (I guess) without it I had a chance to sucess,
or that doesn't makes sense?

Regards,
Bruno