client writing, which to use: ldap_start_tls_s/ldap_set_option

Hello all.

I'm writing an LDAP module as an extension to an existing system, and am
trying to it "right". That is, give it the all the capabilities/options
possible. I've come to the point where I need some help with
undocumented things, specifically setting up TLS connections. This is no
the kind of thing that I want to just get working without fully
understanding what is happening.

What is the procedure for setting up such a connection, as a ruyn time
option? Which order should I use ldap_set_option, ldap_initialize,
ldap_start_tls_s, ldap_sasl_bind_s, etc. Which options are current, and
which implicitly start_tls?