SASL required? for Heimdal Kerberos -> OpenLDAP

I am trying to get Heimdal Kereros setup to use OpenLDAP as a database store for it's passwords. I have OpenLDAP 2.0.27 installed and Heimdal 0.6.2-20040927 snapshot compiled with OpenLDAP support. When I attempt to initialize my Kerberos domain I get an error : hdb_open: ldap_sasl_bind_s: Can't contact LDAP server. So I learned that normally people seem to use SASL to implement this. I would like to know if there is a method of configuring all this so SASL is not required? Also in doing that would there be some risks to consider?