Syncrepl slapd error

Hi,
I have been trying to setup master and slave replication. I have been
using the syncrepl for this.

The setup is as follows
1)openldap-2.2.17
2)berkely-db-4.2.52
3)Redhat linux 9 kernel 2.4.20-smp

I get the following error when i start slapd on the consumer side.

/usr/llocal/libexec/slapd -f /etc/openldap/slapd.conf -d 255

Excerts from the error

line 108 (syncrepl rid=1                 provider=ldap://myhost:389
             updatedn "cn=Replica,dc=bbs"
binddn="cn=Manager,dc=bbs"                 bindmethod=simple
    credentials=secret                 searchbase="dc=bbs"
     filter="(objectClass=*)"                 attrs="*"
 schemachecking=off                 scope=sub
type=refreshAndPersist)
/etc/openldap/slapd.conf: line 108: unknown directive "syncrepl" in
bdb database definition (ignored)

The master and slave configuration files are

Master slapd.conf

database bdb
suffix "dc=bbs"
rootdn "cn=Manager,dc=bbs"
#updatedn "cn=Slave,dc=bbs"
# Cleartext passwords, especially for the rootdn, should
# be avoid.  See slappasswd(8) and slapd.conf(5) for details.
# Use of strong authentication encouraged
rootpw secret
directory /usr/local/var/openldap-data
sessionid 1 100

Slave slapd.conf