Remote bind fails, "invalid credentials"

I have a setup with master/slave configuration which seems to replicate as it should.

If I issue  this command on the master machine zathras.x.x it works OK:

 ldapsearch -h zathras.x.x -xD   \
 "employeeNumber=0,dc=lss,dc=bd,dc=se" -w secret '(employeeNumber=184)'

However, exactly the same command issued on a remote slave machine returns "Invalid credentials".

The entries for employeeNumber=0... are identical on the two machines, I had to check that, and a lot of ather things before I send this message... And this is not the DN used for replication

Any hint out there? Thanks in advance...

--michael