some problem with slapd

hi,
after reading LDAP Linux HOWTO i tried to configure slapd.
i was able to make it run and to add some entries in ldap, however if i try to access them with ldapsearch it said that there are no objects.

my slapd.conf is this:

include         /etc/ldap/schema/core.schema
include         /etc/ldap/schema/cosine.schema
include         /etc/ldap/schema/nis.schema
include         /etc/ldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema
schemacheck     on
pidfile         /var/run/slapd/slapd.pid
argsfile        /var/run/slapd.args
loglevel        0
modulepath      /usr/lib/ldap
moduleload      back_bdb
backend         bdb
database        bdb
suffix          "o=sferacarta"
rootdn          "cn=admin,o=sferacarta"
rootpw          "{SSHA}hbgTZcP7BNtYL1Z8Ceee2arFevg0t0ys"
index cn,sn,st pres,eq,sub
directory       "/var/lib/ldap"
lastmod         on
access to * by * read

which is derived from the one used by default in debian.

i added some entries in ldap using this command :
ldapadd -f test.ldif -x -D "cn=admin,o=sferacarta" -W
Enter LDAP Password: ******
adding new entry "o=sferacarta"

adding new entry "ou=users,o=sferacarta"

adding new entry "cn=Samuele Tonon,ou=users,o=sferacarta"

adding new entry "cn=Zope,ou=users,o=sferacarta"

so i thought that all went ok.

However
# ldapsearch -x -D 'cn=admin,o=sferacarta' -W
Enter LDAP Password:
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <> with scope sub
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# search result
search: 2
result: 32 No such object

# numResponses: 1

and changing user i have this

# ldapsearch -x -D 'cn=zope,o=sferacarta' -W
Enter LDAP Password:
ldap_bind: Invalid credentials (49)

here in the attach file there's the ldif file i used to add entries.
I'm sorry if this has been already asked, i looked for in the archives
but i didn't find any clue on where's the problem.

The thing that most disappoint me is that using gq, i can browse the ldap and see the entries, but with ldapsearch i'm stuck ..

ani hints ?

Many Thanks
Samuele
dn: o=sferacarta
objectClass: top
objectClass: organization
o: sferacarta

dn: ou=users,o=sferacarta
ou: users
objectClass: top
objectClass: organizationalUnit

dn: cn=Samuele Tonon,ou=users,o=sferacarta
objectClass: top
objectClass: person
objectClass: organizationalPerson
objectClass: inetOrgPerson