Re: Garbage entries with intense use

Rafa wrote:

Today we have done a test. We have created an empty service (only three entries), and we have seen that the .dbb files had about 8kb. After importing a branch with more than 100 entries some files have got fat to 130 kb (more or less). A while after we have deleted the branch and... sizes have not changed! No files have changed!

That's normal. Space in a db file is never released back to the operating system, it hangs around to be reused by later adds.

Sorry, Howard, here are the software versions:
- openldap 2.0.21-4
- Berkeley DB 3.3.11-3

Your software is 2-3 years out of date, and known to be full of problems. You really need to upgrade to current versions.

The OS is AIX., althoung this also happens in other ldap we have running under debian (i don't know the versions).

Thanks!

A tip I didn't mention, the ldap service is indexed, so there are enough .dbb files, as you said.

Howard Chu wrote:

Note that most tar programs don't understand how to deal with sparse files. GNU tar does, but since you've given practically no information about the software you're using, there's nothing we can say with certainty.

Rafa wrote:

The environment was set up by other person, so I can't say much.
We noticed the problem making backups with tar, and recently I have seen this again. Althoung I deleted some big branches, my tar was some mb bigger than the one I made a week before. And the .tgz file included all the .dbb files in the folder.

Howard Chu wrote:

Rafa wrote:

I have noticed that when I do massive updates on my OpenLdap my db size increases astonishingly, so I have to take an ldif and create from scratch periodically. Obvioulsy a garbage-entries problem, but seems to be very frequent. I supose it is a db problem, not an ldap problem (in that case, it would have been fixed yet ;)). I don't know exactly wich db uses my server, but it uses .dbb extensions in its files.
Do you know where is the problem exactly? If the cause is in the db engine, can you recommend me a better one?

You didn't mention the version numbers of anything you're currently using. The best available DB engine at the moment is Berkeley DB 4.2.52(+2 patches). Note that database files tend to be sparse, and generally don't actually use as much disk space as the size in their directory listing would indicate, so you may be reacting to something that isn't a real problem.

--
 -- Howard Chu