Re: Mailing groups

Robert,

First, There are a couple good books available for beginners in architecting an LDAP directory. I started with this one about 5 or 6 years ago and it seemed to work well for me.

Understanding and Deploying Ldap Directory Services (Macmillan Network Architecture and Development Series)
by
Tim Howes, Mark C. Smith, Gordon S. Good

Some of the info is dated but it is still relevant.

Second, not sure if this answers your question or not. In my LDAP directory instances I don't use groupOfMembers objectclass. I use groupOfUniqueNames and the attribute I use is uniqueMember. Further, I have a separate branch of the directory I keep the mailing lists in and a separate branch where I keep the people. Then of course you need to have a mail system which can talk to an LDAP directory?

Inactive hide details for Robert Johnson <rjohnson@costuless.com>Robert Johnson <rjohnson@costuless.com>

          Robert Johnson <rjohnson@costuless.com>
          Sent by: owner-openldap-software@OpenLDAP.org

          09/28/2004 06:52 PM

OpenLDAP-software@OpenLDAP.org

cc

Subject

Mailing groups

I am getting no where trying to figure out what I need to add a mailing
list entry to me system. 2 questions.

First, can anyone recommend a book that covers not only setting up the
basic structure for users, but goes into the mailing list end? I have
not found one so far.

Second, anything jump out at anyone from my attempts below?

Sample user entry:
dn: cn=Robert Johnson,dc=costuless,dc=com
cn: rjohnson
cn: Robert Johnson
objectClass: person
objectClass: inetOrgPerson
uid: rjohnson
givenName: Robert
sn: Johnson
mail: rjohnson@costuless.com
telephoneNumber: 425-945-0213 Ext.161

Group Attempt:
dn: cn=mis,dc=costuless,dc=com
cn: mis
cn: misdept
objectclass: groupOfMembers
objectclass: groupOfUniqueNames
member: cn=Bill Lofgren,dc=costuless,dc=com
member: cn=Robert Johnson,dc=costuless,dc=com
member: cn=Bea Shilmover,dc=costuless,dc=com
mail: mis@costuless.com

The error I get is "objectclass: value #0 invalid per syntax"

A book that goes into all this would sure save a bit of everyones time
in the mailing list.

Thanks
--
Robert A. Johnson