OpenLDAP+encoding+perl

First of all, I've got to apologize because I don't know if this is the
correct forum to post this question. So, if it's off-topic here, feel free to
ignore me.

I've been trying to add some posixAccount objects to my LDAP tree with a perl
script using Net::LDAP module. But I've no luck. It always complains about a
syntax error:

 failed to add entry: gecos: value #0 invalid per syntax at...

The cause is that I'm trying to fill the gecos field with a string that
contains characters such as accents. So, the question is: what encoding
OpenLDAP feels happy with? Must I compile OpenLDAP with some special flags?
I've tried to convert the string to UTF-8, but then I lost all the accents.

Any idea?
Thank you in advance.

--
Imobach González Sosa
Servicio de Informática y Comunicaciones de la ULPGC