Re: renaming an entry referenced in another object

Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

At 08:52 AM 9/17/2004, François Beretti wrote:

Ok, I respect this choice. Is there a plugin for slapd that could handle such a behavior ?

In the LDAP/X.500 model, one should first try to avoid
renaming problems by simply avoiding renaming and then, when
renaming is absolutely necessary, use alias and referral
objects to refer applications to the new entry name.
Also, using some sort of indirection location method in
applications can make them immune to renaming issues.
For instance, locating objects by UUID instead of name
will make the application immune to name changes.

The NameAndOptionalUUID syntax may be of interest here. Although I believe the original X.500 designers got this wrong; to be of any use it should have been UUIDAndOptionalName.

--
 -- Howard Chu