Re: beginner problem

Hi,

"W.Schefe" <w.schefe@bauwi.de> writes:

> Hallo, Dieter,
> (sorry, was not in the office for two days),
> I had delete all data files (LINUX) under the default dir
> /usr/local/var/openldap-data.
> start after deleting with debug gives back "panic- will reconfigure
> database" , system creates a logfile log.0000001 (?) and stops working.
> This I could repeate with the same error messages,
> next step was, I deleted the log file and result is, that slapd never
> starts and slapadd gives the information:
> ldap_initialize( <DEFAULT> )
> ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server
> Is there anywhere a config- file for the dbd, whitch is needed or is
> corrupted?
> another question related to the answer: have I everytime to stop and
> to restart the slapd if I insert a new dataset? Is that a speciality
> of Berkeley DB or depends on LDAP- architecture?

Actually, you could start slapd without any database, and load with
ldapadd, but it seems that there are a few relicts left in your
directory which lead to a panic, so clean the directory, remove any
pid files an whatever may be leftover.
Load the directory with slapdadd and start slapd.

With regard to your question, no you don't have to restart the server
when adding new entries, but if you delete your database files in
order to reinitialise you have to shut down slapd.

-Dieter

--
Dieter Klünter | Systemberatung
http://www.dkluenter.de