RE: configure: error: Berkeley DB version mismatch

Thanks for your clarification, I certainly like to receive your
comments. Your points are valid. I may be used to some "less techies"
maillist where subscribers post all kinds of info, verified or junked or
not, and I really know more now as the result of sharing my "not so
sure" experience.

1) As u may or may NOT be aware, a lot of Solaris8 machines do not have
GNU's binutils package (www.sunfreeware.com) installed BY DEFAULT, and
therefore do not have GNU's ld, I don't have it on my Solaris8 box,
Cameron seems to have it as he has /usr/local/bin/make.

However I can't find binutils package for Solaris9, and I could not find
Solaris9 version of /usr/local/bin/ld on my Solaris9 box, Where is your
Solaris9 GNU version of ld come from? Did u use the Solaris8 version of
binutils package for Solaris9?

# uname -r; find /usr -name ld -ls
5.9
374330    9 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     bin          8940 Apr  6  2002
/usr/ccs/bin/ld
473391   12 -rwxr-xr-x   1 root     bin         11736 Apr  6  2002
/usr/ccs/bin/sparcv9/ld
27600    1 drwxr-xr-x   3 root     bin           512 Aug 26  2002
/usr/lib/ld
1018353    2 -r-xr-xr-x   1 root     bin          1830 Apr  6  2002
/usr/ucb/ld

2) I would like to share this comment from www.sunfreeware.com with all
of us:

"binutils-2.11.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz This GNU package includes the GNU
versions of the ld, as, ar, nm, ranlib, strip, strings and other
programs - installs in /usr/local. With some compiles, the use of Sun
versions of these programs may be better. The Sun versions of these
utilities come from the developer SUNW packages from the Solaris CDs and
are installed in /usr/ccs/bin. Which set of utilies gets used depends on
whether /usr/local/bin (GNU) or /usr/ccs/bin (Sun) are first in the PATH
environmental variable."

3) As Cameron seems to use Solaris8 GNU's make (/usr/local/bin/make) and
SUN's ld (/usr/ccs/bin/ld), could u comment if this is OK?

I think I prefer to follow the advice of sunfreeware, or logically have
tallied version of make and ld, be it SUN's or GNU's.

Rgds
Gary