RE: configure: error: Berkeley DB version mismatch

--On Thursday, September 16, 2004 11:22 AM +0800 "Tay, Gary" <Gary_Tay@platts.com> wrote:

Let me clarify:

1) There is no issue of GNU make in Solaris "9" as Solaris "9" comes
with GNU make and gcc and I use them also, I am not sure if there is
issue with GNU make with Solaris "8", but some tips from Google advised
me to use /usr/ccs/bin/make on Solaris "8" so that the object files
generated have less issue when they are linked with /usr/ccs/bin/ld,
again I may NOT be correct.

Let me clarify then:

I've built BDB, Heimdal Kerberos, Cyrus-SASL, and OpenLDAP on:
Solaris 2.6
Solaris 7
Solaris 8
Solaris 9

All with GNU make, all with gcc, and all with GNU ld.

I've used:

gcc-2.96
gcc-3.3.1
gcc-3.4.1

All of those worked just fine. There is no issue with any GNUs usage. It really comes down to how well someone knows how to build software, which can be confusing and problematic. It isn't helped by the fact that many OS's distribute outdated versions of the requisite software, especially OpenLDAP and BDB. Learning to build software is an experience. However, misdirection focus on the wrong things also doesn't help matters any. I do understand you are giving the best answers you know, based on the experiences you have had. But I also want to make sure you understand that the issues you are presenting are not really issues. I make assumptions sometimes and I've been corrected plenty of times about my mistaken assumptions on this list as well. ;)

You might find the site I maintain about how I build OpenLDAP helpful.

<http://www.stanford.edu/services/directory/openldap>

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount