postalAddress trouble

I'm using OpenLDAP 2.2.8. I'm using BDB for my back end. I'm new to Linux and OpenLDAP so please bear with me.

I've got my ldap server up and running. I've written a perl script that gets user information from a MS SQL server database and creates an LDIF file from it. The first 11998 entries load just fine until I run into a problem with postalAddress. The error message follows.

adding new entry "cn=jdbenichou@mydomain.com,ou=mydomain.com,o=parentcompany"
ldapadd: update failed: cn=jdbenichou@mydomain.com,ou=mydomain.com,o=parentcompany
ldap_add: Invalid syntax (21)
additional info: postalAddress: value #0 invalid per syntax

I can't show the users entire LDIF entry because of privacy issues but the line with postalAddress follows.

postalAddress: 21 boulevard poissonnière

This is the only entry in my entire LDIF that has the è character and I wonder if that is what is causing the problem. I thought that LDAP 2.2.8 was natively UTF-8 compliant and didn't think that I would have any problems with a character like this (if that is even the problem). I've read the portion of RFC2256 that pertain to postalAddress but don't see anything that gives me a clue:). I searched a little on google and found a site that describes OIDs. I didn't find anything there either. Any help or clues would be greatly appreciated.