Re: Solaris Shared memory setup

--On Thursday, August 12, 2004 4:58 PM -0400 Scott Walker <scott.walker@magma.ca> wrote:

Group/Quanah,
I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction
or show me a standard /etc/system setup for giving openldap
1GB of shared memory.  (OL 2.2.13 / BDB 4.2.52)

I currently have this in /etc/system:

* shared mem setup for slapd
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=0x40000000

I believe your syntax is incorrect.

For 3GB of shared memory we do:

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=3221225472

Also, what version of Solaris? I found (in the past) issues with Solaris 9's threading model and openldap. I haven't looked at it any time recently, so that may have changed (read, over a year), but Solaris 8's threading model is very effective with OpenLDAP.

Our entire /etc/system looks like:

* turn off executable stacks
set noexec_user_stack     = 1
set noexec_user_stack_log = 1
* increase the size of the kernel stack to 24k for Solaris 8/64-bit
set rpcmod:svc_default_stksize=0x6000
set lwp_default_stksize=0x6000
* force load the shared module kernel information.
forceload: sys/shmsys
* allow shared memory segments of up to 3 GB (default 1MB)
* See http://www.sun.com/sun-on-net/itworld/UIR960101perf.html
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=3221225472
* Increase memory performance when filesystem is being heavily used.
* See http://www.sun.com/sun-on-net/performance/priority_paging.html
set priority_paging=1
* autoup influences how much RAM is checked by fsflush every 5 seconds.
* Default = 30. Increase autoup to decrease mem management overhead.
* See http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/806-7009/6jftnqsin?a=view
set autoup = 60
* Allow mirror drive to be booted on mirrored systems
set md:mirrored_root_flag=1

--Quanah

-- Quanah Gibson-Mount Principal Software Developer ITSS/Shared Services Stanford University GnuPG Public Key: http://www.stanford.edu/~quanah/pgp.html