RE: Master replication server reliability

--On Thursday, August 12, 2004 2:11 PM -0400 James Courtney <Jcourtney@inphonic.com> wrote:

Tony,
	Thanks for the help.  We're using HP ProLiant DL380s with 2x2.4 Ghz P4
Xeon, 2 GB RAM, 2x36GBx10K SCSI RAID 1 using HP HW RAID card (thus one
logical drive that the OS breaks up into n logical mount points).  I'd
think this would be sufficient for what we do.  I'm in the process of
building db 4.1.52 with the patches and I'm rebuilding 2.1.25 to run
against that for comparison.  I'm also building OpenLDAP 2.2.15 as
suggested by you and Quanah with the hopes of testing that today.  Please
let me know if anything about my HW setup concerns anyone.  I realize
that one logical drive (2 disk RAID 1) doesn't allow for putting the DB
logs on another spindle but we do so few writes I can't see this being
problematic and our caching for both OpenLDAP and DB permits a 100% cache
hit rate according to db_stat so our disk dependance should be minimal.
My DB_CONFIG contains only the following:

# Set cachesize to 32MB
set_cachesize 0 33554432 0

Yeah, the spindle bit isn't necessarily an issue on newer systems which use a write-ahead cache (my solaris boxes apparently don't, or they aren't large enough ;) ). It is also not as much of an issue anymore with the updated BDB flags which turn off log creation during large data loads.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Developer